Wednesday 16 March 2011



Catherine M Foster, Humpty Dumpty 1.02 mins, 2005

Appropriated home movies and childrens nursery rhymes, nostalgic and disturbing. The piece is intended to create new memories and surface forgotten moments.

"I have always been interested in observation, exposure, and cause and effect. My first format for exploration was through a microscope as a microbiologist. My attention soon turned to the seductive process of searching for what underlies a look, a pose, a picture, or a headline. This desire was satisfied by an eventful career as a management advisor. Mid career, I decided to pursue the arts. I was trained as a painter at The School of The Art Institute of Chicago, and since completing my MFA in 2002; I have been immersed in media arts. I choose to work in multiple mediums, because it reflects how I receive and assimilate input, and I find the third eye (camera lens) a very compelling observational tool."
- Catherine M Foster.